Friday, August 1, 2008

Favorite Foto(s) Friday 08/01/2008

My Grannie and PawPaw's house.
Lots of Sunday afternoons spent at this house. This is the view as you come up the street, the front of the house. Not great quality photography but I was driving and trying to take the picture at the same time. Fun times spent on that porch swing. We used to get that thing rocking. It always scared me because I never trusted that thing. I just knew we'd go flying through the air.
This is the back.
I can remember playing in the back yard one time telling my cousins that I wanted to go to the back yard. "We're in the back yard." What?! I always thought the front was the back. I remember having to really think about that one. We always played in the back so I just assumed that it was the front.

That freezer sitting over there to the left, that thing is forever old. It got a fresh coat of paint not too terribly long ago. Way old. That's my Grannie's flower bed over there with the flowers. She always had flowers in there and always had roses in another corner of the yard. Another shot of the back yard. My Pawpaw sits out in these chairs. He has to go outside frequently to warm up. He stays cold a lot. That little green building is where the storm cellar is. That wasn't there when we were growing up. The building was built later. We used to go in the storm cellar and play all the time. There were also a couple other trees in the back yard. I can remember me and Mondi (my cousin) getting my Grannie's tea spoons, you know the really long ones, and digging with them under one of those trees. We would pretend (didn't you love to use that word when you were playing?) that we had found a treasure chest every time we hit a tree root. The barn.

Mules, horses, ponies, goats.

You name it - my PawPaw has had it.

The chicken house.

This is the corner of the yard that used to hold my Grannie's rose beds. When I was growing up we always visited every other Sunday afternoon after church. Before we left to go home my Grannie would cut a rose for me after I ran in to get a wet paper towel wrapped in foil (for the rose's trip home). The rose always ended up on my teacher's desk on Monday morning.

Leaving.

There used to be railroad tracks right there at the end of the road before you go over that hill to the stop sign. The trains always made for interesting fun, too. My parents would sometimes listen to classical music on the way home. FM 100. Anyone remember that station?

Oh it was torturous.

I love that little spot of my childhood memories!

~Shannon

1 comments:

shelly Coggin said...

Hey Shan,
You write well... you should do that for a living. Seriously you are really good. I loved those pictures it makes me miss home.
You supervisor Phillis looks like June Simpson in that picture.

Love ya,
Shell