Thursday, May 8, 2008

National Awareness Month

Many of you know about my allergic asthmatic children. We run the gamet on allergies. From indoor dust, outdoor hay, tree, grass to food allergies. Kody is anaphylactic to cashews and Carson is anaphylactic to milk. Major, huge food allergies!
If any of you watched The Celebrity Apprentice you'll know that Trace Adkins was one of the participants. Each celebrity chose a specific charity to work for. His was the Food Allergy & Anyphylaxis Network. I was very surprised but pleased to see it. I'm very familiar with all of these organizations. Allergies are hereditary. I had allergies and asthma growing up as well as food allergies. I still suffer from asthma from time to time and Mike has also suffered from asthma in the past and still does as well. Unless you've dealt with the severity of these things...you just don't know. Be careful what you feed or offer to other children. You just never know. When Carson was still in his stroller I watched someone from across the way at the ballpark (he was with Mike) hand him a Cheeto. I got there in time enough to get it from him but that one little Cheeto could have made him very sick. Both boys (Carson and Kody) have had trips to the hospital because of the severe reactions. Chase, who is actually the sicker of the three, has been hospitalized twice for a total of 12 days with severe asthma..as recent as two years ago. Carson has had 3 hospitalizations due to asthma and anaphylactic episodes. Poor Kody has only had one ER visit because of his food allergy. I really could go on about hospital visits due to injuries...but that's for another post! I think we own part of Baptist Health.
Thank God for medical insurance-
~Shannon

0 comments: