Thursday, September 4, 2008

I'm A New Bronco Fan!

Hillis Earns Starting Job for Broncos
by The Associated Press
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Broncos fullback Peyton Hillis' willingness to hit anything in his way has made him a favorite among Denver's tailbacks.
It's also earned the rookie a starting spot, a week after worrying about whether or not he'd even make the team.
"Everything's moving so fast," Hillis said. "I've got to adjust in a big hurry ... and I've already got adjusted to it. I've been through that point where I was calling my family, telling them how excited I was. Now, it's to the point where I have to get down to business."
One teammate who quickly became a believer in Hillis was tailback Andre Hall.
"I'm loving Hillis. He doesn't really care, he'll hit whoever. And he hits and he keeps driving," Hall said during camp. "Most guys hit and twist and turn their body. Hillis hits you right down the middle, he's going to continue to drive right through the play."
Hall said there's more to Hillis than his hard-hitting style, too.
"I won't lie. I think Hillis could fight for the best hands on the team," Hall said. "Offensive wise, or in the running back room, he's got it, I can't fight with him. I'm going to give him a run, but he's probably got the best hands out of the running backs."
He also has arguably the best scouting report on Raiders rookie running back Darren McFadden. After all, Hillis blocked for the two-time Heisman Trophy runner-up while they were at Arkansas.
So, what's the secret to stopping the 6-foot-2, 210-pound McFadden?
"You've got to hit him low and hit him hard," Hillis said. "He's a big, strong guy. He's a tough runner and the sooner you stop him the better it is for us."
Hillis got off to a slow start in training camp, falling behind the other candidates with an injured left hamstring.
So concerned were the Broncos about their depth at fullback, they switched Michael Pittman over from tailback and rookie Spencer Larsen from linebacker.
But Hillis proved to be a fast healer, quickly working his way back into the mix. He was elevated to the top of the depth chart after incumbent Cecil Sapp suffered a left quad injury in the preseason finale.
Hillis is eager to be the lead blocker on a team that relishes running the ball.
"It's big for me," he said. "I've waited my whole life for this point and I'm going to take full advantage of it."

0 comments: