Sunday, January 6, 2008

Christmas with the in-laws...or not

Over the river and thru the woods to grandmother's house we go.
OK...so not really. It was only about a five minute care ride.
Chase's self portrait with my new camera.

Momma couldn't go. I was ill. Mike and I stayed up until really late wrapping the rest of the gifts. He really was such a help this year. Usually...not much help. But he was great! Since we no longer have carpet in the living room I sat FOR HOURS on the laminate floor wrapping. Since I'm the 'big-boned' type (yeah right!) it wreaks a little more havoc on my body. I went to bed that night with horrible pain in my hip joints. Should I even be embarrassed to tell this...probably. We get up, open presents, Mike gets the turkey ready to bake...yes, he did it all by himself. I love him! I am dying! My hips are KILLING me! I decide to take a pain pill. You should know that I really hate to take medicine. So for me to take something I had to have been near death. I fixed a small bowl of cereal....no we didn't have a Paula Deen Christmas breakfast. I go rummaging thru my cabinets for some kind of pain pill that will relieve my pain for a few hours. After rifling thru bottle after bottle of my families narcotics, I decide on one. It was the only one left in the amber colored bottle with a child proof cap. That settles it...I'll take that one. Then I can get rid of the empty bottle in the process. Percocet...yeah that's it...that's the ticket! HO-LY COW! I went horizontal and waited for it to work. It worked all right. Worked me over! Mike came in there and I think I told him I love him about 4 dozen times. It was Christmas...I just wanted to make sure he knew that I loved him. The turkey baked. I took a shower after a short nap. I barely made it thru the shower. Back to bed. I was so sick. Mike and the boys left without me. At some point during the day I rolled out and headed for the couch. Didn't last long there. Mike brought me a plate. Have I already mentioned that I love him? It was loaded. Mashed potatoes right in the middle of the plate. MY FAVORITE! A few bites is all I could do. Turkey was good...only a few bites of it sufficed. Lord knows I'm sick if I don't eat! Hate I missed it ya'll. I'm sure I was missed.....HA! Just a few of the memories that Chase captured.
Aunt Carol (Mike's sis)

Meemaw (Mike's mom)
Whatcha got Lisa? (Mike's other sister)
Laura (the niece) looking at old family pictures with her mom and Megan (another niece).
LeeAnn, the niece.
Haley, the great-niece with a bite of turkey.
Meg.
Little Miss Allie Beth, the other great-niece
Heckuva way to get out of going to the in-laws for the holidays, huh?

Hate I missed it!

~Shannon

0 comments: