Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Good Hair Day

While on my way home last evening from a hard day's work (seriously, I work hard---sometimes) I noticed a truck driving erratically on the access road running along side the freeway. Disobeying all traffic laws and signals he made his way onto the freeway with no one following. The truck was carrying a trailer with the ramps down...sparks flying everywhere. I knew something was amiss. A state trooper who just happened to be sitting at a gas station that this fool blew by, started a pursuit. Now, being married to a Sanders has turned me into sort of an "ambulance chaser". It sounds horrible, I know. I was way behind this 'chase'. My plans were to go home and get the boys, go get Chase a haircut, stop to get something to eat and run on to church for our revival. The pursuit detoured my plans. I should have gone on down 67/167 towards home but decided to continue north on I40 for a possible sighting, even though at this point, they were long gone. I decide to call off my own chase knowing that it was way out of my league. I exited the freeway at Springhill to continue home, eyeballs still peeled. I called Mike, who was still at work, to tell him of my adventure. When I reached the light at McCain I looked to my right and saw blue lights. There it was. I made a right thinking that it was just a traffic stop. The closer I got the worse it looked. By the time I got to the scene all I could see was smoke, mangled metal and the officer wrestling with the truck driver's arm that was hanging out of the mangled truck.

So, I knowwww....that totally sounds horrible....I can go to church anytime. I DO NOT even remember saying that! Even if I did, it was in passing conversation as a joke. I told him that I should be on my way to church.
Church? he said.
Yeah, we're in revival.
Oh, he said, I was wondering why you were going to church on a Tuesday night. Where do you go to church?
Central Baptist.
Where's that he said?
I explained and he knew where it was. Oh yeah, I go by there all the time.
I tell him It's a good church...you outta come visit.
I SO hate that he put that in there. I feel like some skank dissing my church to be an ambulance chaser. I really feel bad about it.
I guess I really am a chaser. I like to call it being a concerned citizen.


So check out the video below. This reporter was really nice. He talked me into it and now I feel TOTALLY stupid for it. What was I thinking?
At least it had been a good hair day.
So late this morning I get a call from another reporter at Channel 11. she wants to come to my work and interview me. What? How did you even get m y work number? White pages.com. Good grief! Will you let me think about it? Sure, just call me back. 30 minutes later she called me back. O M G! She called like every 20 minuted for about 2 hours. I just couldn't do it. I felt so silly. She said I was the only witness that she could get a hold of. Whatever!

Click on the viedo link above the pictures of the wreckage.
Pray for those involved. A couple people looked really hurt.
Looking for blue lights,
~Shannon
Please don't think that I'm by any means making light of the accident.
It was very serious and very scary.

2 comments:

Beth said...

That is so funny...not the accident, that's bad...but it's funny that they busted you out in the newspaper for not going to church...LOL. When I watched the video, I was expecting them to cut back to the reporter guy who would then say, "by the way, Mrs. Sanders' curiousity of the chase caused her to skip revival at her church tonight." HA! I'm sorry, but you gotta admit it's pretty dang funny! LOL.

Anonymous said...

To me this looks like the devil's work in wanting you to miss the revival service...and it worked. Could you have not just waited until the news that night to see what happened and gone ahead to church?! I guess it's hard for me to understand since I am not an 'ambulance chaser.' May I ask what the thrill is of being an ambulance chaser? Is it that you could see someone get hurt or possibly killed, because in all honesty, there's nothing you can do to help the situation and I don't really understand any other reason for wanting to be there. Take this chase for example....why was it so fascinating to you? So fascinating that you chose it over going to church?? I could understand doing it any other time, but choosing this over church??! What were you hoping to see? I'm sorry I sound harsh, I just don't quite understand. Especially choosing to miss church for this chase when you have children to set an example for. To me, this is saying to them that it is ok to miss church to get in on seeing a police chase...is that the kind of example you really want to set for you children? And then almost sounding proud of the fact that you missed church to chase this van as you talk to the reporters?
Again, I think this was all the devils work in tempting you away from church. Hopefully next time you will choose church and watch the news for the highlights of the event.