Thursday, December 13, 2007

Childhood Christmas Memories

With all my lurking at other blogs I sometimes get ideas for my own posts. Here goes another.
8 Christmas Memories

1] Growing up my bedroom was on the front of the house. We always had colored lights on the outside of the house at Christmas time. You know, the big fat bulbs? It always lit my room up. I always loved to lay in my bed at night and look out of my window and stare at those lights. How excited I was with anticipation. It reminds me of the joy of Christmas through a child's eyes.

2] My brother Kirk talked me into to opening a gift that was under the tree. It was the ONE and ONLY time that I ever did it. It was a small box and as I recall he even told me what it was as I was opening it. Carefully and gently I loosened the tape. I knew I shouldn't be doing it. But I just couldn't help myself. Kirk said he had already done it with one of his. I removed the small box from the wrapping paper and opened it. It was a ring. I can't really remember if it was the first ring my parents ever bought me or maybe the second and I believe it was my birthstone. (Sorry mom if you're reading this). The surprise was SO ruined. It tainted the excitement of the Christmas unwrap fest. I hated myself for doing it. I NEVER did it again.

3] For as long as could ever remember we always went to my Grannie and Poppa's (paternal)house for Christmas Eve. Most of the family was usually there. My cousin Kim and I always exchanged gifts. She lived across the street from my grandparents and they practically raised her because my aunt was a single mom and worked long hours. She was an only child and the closest thing that I ever had to a sister. I always remember when it came time for my grandparents to open their gifts that my Poppa would always cry. He was such a softy. Sitting here, I've never really much thought about it but I'd sure like to see him again. I guess I've never really thought about it much because he died when I was about 10. The first grandparent I ever lost and I was not familiar with death at all. I digress...back to the memories. I can remember shortly after we arrived at my Grannie and Poppa's house one year that my dad and Poppa started out the door.
Me: Where are you going?
Dad: To the store.
Me: I wanna go!
Dad: No.
Me: What are going for?
Dad: To get a coke.
I had always thought that was a bizarre answer. Didn't we have plenty of coke and food in the house? Just a few years later I finally discovered 'where' they were actually going. We always had 'Christmas' on Christmas Eve. Santa (my Dad and Poppa) would always come by the time we got home. We could hardly wait to get out of the car and get into the house. It was a race to see who could get to the door the quickest. Oh the anticipation!

4] Christmas morning we always awoke to the clanging of pots and pans and the smell of food. My mom getting dishes ready to take to her parent's house in Bauxite. We were always there before lunch. Decked out in our new clothes, new shoes and whatever select toys we decided to tote with us. I DO remember that we could always count on one distant cousin to bring the latest, greatest in the toy department. He ALWAYS got whatever was the rage that year and of course it was always cool. He was younger than me and that was really the only time I ever saw him. Can't tell you the last time I saw him...it's been years. I remember one year my parents (for whatever reason) decided to go to Bauxite on Christmas Eve. A little out of the ordinary but I was game. I had never really opened presents 'with them'. By the time we always got down there everything was gone but ours. And there was hardly ever anyone in the house. My Grannie's sister lived 2 houses down and that's usually where all the extended family gathered. We always went inside, opened our gifts and then headed down the path between the houses.

5] Our church had a children's program for Christmas one year. I have no idea how old I was. I was chosen to be the angel that delivered the good news to Mary. I had my lines memorized perfectly. I was cool. The angel was cool. I could do this. When it came time for the angel (that would be me) to speak her lines, I had to come down the side aisle of the sanctuary and move towards the stage. I was wearing a white baptismal robe and wings. I don't recall if I wore a halo. Oh well...no need. My own natural angelic halo was surely enough! Anyway-as I was saying how cool I was - I had to hit a certain mark at a certain time. Being so cool and all...I was hanging back until I realized I was a tad late hitting my mark. Holy cow! I remember hustling (running) down the aisle holding my wings in place whispering as loud as I could...."OH CRAP!" Angelicism at its finest right there, now!

6] Every Christmas morning the first thing my brother and I would do is get ready. If we got a new bike, ride that down the street about 4 houses and go visit the Galbraith family. They had 7 kids. I was in between the younger girls Dawn and Debbie. Dawn was a year older and Debbie was a year younger. The middle boy Mark was Kirk's age. The whole family including the grown siblings were always there. We would always compare toys.

7] There was a particular game that I wanted one year. I have no idea what game it was...but I wanted it and I thought I had made that fact clear. Wellll....come Christmas-I DIDN'T get it! The ONE time that I can remember my mom asking if everyone was happy with what they got or maybe she even asked if we got what we wanted. "No" was my reply. "I wanted such and such game." Ruh-Ro! After I got my booty rheemed out-I was sent to my room. Sad, huh? Bratty kid. I never said they were good memories!

8] Christmas Morning 1989. Watching Mike set up a toy train for Kody. That was when I knew I had to straighten up and act right. I felt a little bit of something for him that morning. Now here we are 18 years later. This is what the memories are all about.

Ready to make more memories,

~Shannon



0 comments: