Thursday, November 8, 2007

Football / LIFE???


I received an e-mail this morning from Lorie. It had been forwarded by our friend Beth, who's daughter cheers for North Pulaski High School. She spoke of one of her daughter's cheer friends. On Tuesday her little brother was diagnosed with cancer. An inoperable tumor on the brain stem. 3 months. Possibly a year with treatment. I read the e-mail and thought that the name kinda sounded familiar and sat there trying to figure it out. I closed the e-mail out and figured I'd come back to it later in the day and forward it on to a few people. I forgot about it. I rush home after work-not really, I actually rushed home from Academy Sports because I have to take Carson to practice. Mike needs to stay at work. We get there...Carson does his thing and practices as I sit in the car and start some crocheting. Mike comes later and we both move closer to the field. This is the All-Star team. I don't know many of these kids. I actually did not really know anybody from his regular season team, either. I have always had the football duties because Mike is so busy officiating. I've always had some good times at the practice field even way back when before Carson had even come along. This year, because I really didn't know anybody from the team I sat with friends that I do know, Chip and Tammy, who's kid is on another team. He practiced pretty close by to where Carson did and I always eye-balled Carson from a close distance. So, to make this long story...a little less long - -As Mike and I get a little closer, one of the dad's on our regular season team ask if we'd heard about the kid on our team. I knew immediately who he was talking about. I'd gotten the e-mail. Oh my gosh. That's him. He'd told me exactly everything that was in the e-mail. Which one was he? He explains that his cousin is on the team, too. OK...I kinda know his uncle a little bit but I still can't really place the rest of the family. They said that after our team party on Saturday, where our players received their trophies, he started having trouble with his balance and his speech began to slur. A quick visit to the ER...and their lives have changed forever. The team photo is posted above. Carson says that he's not in it...I'll check with some else, though-to make sure. His name is Lawson Phillips. I can't recall his parent's name but I'll check my e-mail tomorrow....so check back tomorrow. I'll post more info as it comes to me.
Just a kid.
Just pray,
~Shannon

0 comments: