Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Cavities and ummm...balls?

OK...so this one's gonna be a little, well, different. The boys and I slept in a little this morning because they had dental appointments. A cleaning for Carson and the same for Chase plus a cavity to fill. With nothing ever going smoothly or easily-now Carson has a cavity and needs a filling. Just one more appointment in the cluster of many. Cavities...sheesh! That's just like cramming money into a small hole in their teeth. START BRUSHING BETTER...BOTH OF YOU!
So anyway, back to the matter at hand. So as I go to wake the little prince's from their slumber, Carson rolls over and starts bawling. What is it...what's wrong? OK....so how do I say this? I guess I'll just say what he said. My balls hurt. Yep, that's right. I'm never sure with him because he tends to be a bit dramatic sometimes. So after a dose of Tylenol we head off to the dentist. He began feeling much better but did still walk a little jingerly. So Mike and I talked and he decided to call a friend of ours from the ball park that works in the medical field, urology to be specific. He urged that we needed to make an appointment. Sheesh...another one? He was just at the pediatrician Wednesday. That appointment entailed an x-ray on his heel with a diagnosis of Severs disease. Yes, yes...it's as tragic as it sounds. Not really. He's at the point right now where he is at his maximum growth rate. His muscles and tendons can't keep up with the growth rate and are stretched. Basically, just growing pains. Kody was diagnosed with basically the same thing but in his knees-another horrible name called Osgood Schlatter's disease. (All named after doctor's that disovered the respective 'diseases'). Once again I have gotten off the beaten path. So I make the appointment for this afternoon. "I need to make an appointment. The reason for the visit?" What was I supposed to say? Ball pain? Dr. Byrum, of course, wasn't in and I really didn't want to see Dr. Dawn for this 'episode'. So I asked for the other male doc. I tried to prepare Carson for what this visit might entale. No, no shots...there. At least I don't think so, anyway. Yes, he'll have to touch it/them. Will he wear gloves, yes. He was feeling much better by this time. Still a bit sore, though. The nurse wanted to know the reason for the visit. Umm...testical pain...that sounds better now doesn't it? Drop your shorts. After an examination-without gloves I might add-there was no real diagnosis. The urgency comes in that the testical can become twisted. When this happens it can die and must be removed. WHAT? REMOVED? Guys are so sensitive about his area, ya know. Twisted? Not today. Once again, I've been through this with Kody as well. (Love ya, Kody- I'm sure he'll be delighted to read this-HA!) His ended up not being anything of an urgent nature either. Possible hernia? Nope, don't really think so. When was the last time you had a BM? A what? When was the last time you went poo? Probably not constipation, either. So the official diagnosis ends up being a pulled muscle...for lack of a better 'diagnosis'. Ice it. What??? I guess they'll disappear with ice and there'll be no need to worry about them then, huh? No football tonight. Ahhh, darn. Carson is really tore up about that. Not really.
So I'm not really sure why I felt the need to share all of this with those of you that lurk at my blog. Just a small glimpse into my world. Yes, this is my life. My life that I wouldn't change for anything. Well, almost anything-LOL.
Living in the joy of being the mother of boys,
~Shannon

0 comments: